Thursday 16 June 2011

Ginger for a ginger


I've been sitting on this little pile of stash for a while, not literally! But I did buy it about 18 months ago, infact it was my first fat quarter bundle purchase. Since then it has been sitting in the sewing room winking at me.
I did use a couple of fq's to make a knitting needle case when I joined a knitting club (that's another story) but since then the rest of the bundle hasn't had any plans, until today.
The bundle is called 'Ginger Blossom' and it is by Sandi Henderson for Michael Miller. The name gave me the idea.
A long time ago, 19 years ago to be precise, another ginger walked into my life. On my first day at University I met my bestest best mate in the whole wide world. And yep, you've guessed it, she has ginger hair (though strawberry blond as she likes to call it!)
We both studied the exact same combination of subjects for our 4 years teacher training degree, been on holiday together several times and we have shared LOTS of laughs and other experiences together.
Since then she has moved to New Zealand and we don't see each other as much as we used to, in fact I haven't seen her for 2 and a half years. Despite this we immediately connect as if it were just yesterday, whether it be on the phone, via Facebook or email.
So this quilt is for her. My friend. The Ginger Wh*re (A university nickname which she never really lived up to!)

No comments: