Monday 7 May 2012

Quilts for Siblings

Lynne is co-ordinating the Quilts for Siblings venture over on her blog - I'm sure that you have heard all about it.  A worthy cause, stitchers and quilters working on producing quilts for children (siblings) who have been separated for what ever reason by the care system here in the UK.  I am planning on making a quilt from my stash in the very near future.

This got me thinking about the first quilts I made for my two girls.  A fairly novice sewer and definitely new to quilting 2 years ago I ventured into the world of quilting after coming across a couple of blogs online.

I had no fabric and very little knowledge of quilting but I still managed to whip up a couple of quilts that have been used daily ever since. 




Both were made using a tutorial for a stash busting quilt - using only 9 FQs (I think it was a Buttonberry tutorial - do a search and see if it comes up!)  I've turned to this block just recently for my SIL quilt and I'll probably use it for the Siblings together quilt.  Finished it measures 48"x48" - perfect for little ones and bigger ones too.  My daughters use them when they are watching TV, having picnics in the garden and for playmats too.  Well loved and at the moment - very dirty!!

Over on Flickr there are photos galore of quilts that have already been made - watch this space for mine!


No comments: